Can living a minimalist lifestyle help you reduce the effects of stress? I certainly think so.
Minimalist living is all about slowing down and realizing that less more. Because of this, people who are living as minimalists not rushed to get more done. They have no need for useless clutter. They have little or no debt. They are able to enjoy nature. They have structured their lifestyle to suit their needs.
Oh yes, a minimalist lifestyle is the way to go for reducing stress.
Effects of Stress on the Body
How does stress affect health? The effects of stress on the body are multifaceted. Life is busy for most people. There are deadlines to meet, frustrations to deal with and demands to be met. And this is before 8 am.
If you frequently find yourself feeling frazzled and overwhelmed, it’s time to take action to bring your nervous system and your life back into balance.
Main Effects of Stress
If there is one main cause of stress it must be life. Life is demanding. Of course you must realize that you have made it that way.
Here are some of the ways stress will affect the body:
- Pain of any kind
- Heart disease
- Digestive problems
- Sleep problems
- Autoimmune diseases
- Skin conditions, such as eczema
Main Cause of Stress
There may not be just one main cause of stress. And stressors will change over time. One year it may be money, another year it may be your marriage. Or maybe it is the money you spent on your marriage.
All joking aside, what causes stress depends, at least in part, on your perception of it. Something that’s stressful to you may not faze someone else; they may even enjoy it.
Here are some external and internal causes of stress:
- Major life changes
- Relationship difficulties
- Financial problems
- Being too busy
- Children and family
- Negative self-talk
- Unrealistic expectations
- Lack of assertiveness
Minimalist Lifestyle Tips For Reducing Stress
Thankfully there are things you can do to reduce the effects of stress on the body and on your mind.
- Simplify your life. Now is the time to take stock of where you are at in life. Can you change to a less demanding position at work? Can you change careers altogether?
- Now is also the time to embrace a minimalist lifestyle. You can get by with less stuff. Clear out the clutter, room by room. Be ruthless.
- Sell what you can and pay down as much debt as possible. Cancel any monthly subscriptions you can do without
- Strengthen your relationships. Spend time with the people you enjoy and love. Volunteer. Take a class or join a group.
- Take stock of your emotional health. Read some self help articles. Learn how to laugh. Compile a list of things that you are grateful for.
- Learn how to say no. You don’t have to be everything to everybody
- Give yourself permission to relax. Meditate. Practice yoga and deep breathing. Sitting quietly for even a few minutes will do wonders to bring stress levels down. These activities boost your feelings of joy and serenity.
It is time to slow down and adopt minimalist living.
Do it and watch your stress disappear.
Please share this on Twitter, Facebook, Digg or any other social network. Thanks.