If you find yourself asking certain questions like “how can I live a more simple life?” or “Is it possible to slow down and enjoy life?”, congratulations. You are on the verge of understanding that finding ways to live a simple lifestyle may just be the key to a happier, more contented life.
“Stay low, stay quiet, keep it simple, don’t expect too much, enjoy what you have.”
Today’s world has many luxuries that are supposed to make life easier. At times they may, but other times, they make things more complicated.
Many people long for a simple life away from all the chaos that seems self-inflicted. The first step to embracing this new form of lifestyle is to understand what simplicity means to you and then live by that definition.
Only you can decide what living a simple life is going to look like for you.
For now here are some basic suggestions that may help you think about how to live a simple life.
1. Read some blogs and books about simple living, and living a minimalist lifestyle. There are hundreds of great blogs out there that will help you.
2. Get rid of cable. It is a money suck and it is basically an excuse to sit mindlessly and do nothing. How many channels do you really watch? You can find most programs using the internet now.
3. Declutter your space. The average home in America now has 300000 items. Chances are you may have some things that you could sell or donate. Living a simple life may include clearing some physical clutter. Everyone who does this reports a sense of well being when finished.
4. Make time for yourself. Life seems to be more chaotic than ever. Living a simple life should include turning off your cell phone and stepping away from the computer for a period of time. Do yoga, read, listen to music, sit in nature, actually talk with a friend.
5. Embrace minimalism and frugality. We live in a world of “more”. Spend more, have more stuff. And yet people are unhappier and less content than ever. Think of the whole concept of minimalist living as a way to live a contented life. Here is an awesome infographic on Happiness.
6. Minimize your wardrobe. I need to do this one. Most of us wear the same 15 or so pieces of clothing over and over. Your closet is bursting and yet you think you have nothing to wear. I feel that there is too much choice in our Western world. I’m not saying that you need to only have a handful of items to wear, but keep only a small, strategic amount of outfits that can be put together quickly. No more sorting through the closet deciding what to wear and no more unending piles of laundry to do.
So there you have it. A very basic list of just a few ideas on ways to live a simple lifestyle. There are many more things you could do.
The great thing about this list is that you have choices. You can choose to do one of them, all of them, or some of them. You can start out with just one and then add some others later.
Life is about choices. Learning how to live a simple life is something that is becoming a popular thing to do.